Ir al contenido principal

Reporting Housing Discrimination

Casa y apartamento

This article explains housing discrimination complaints and how to request a formal complaint for submission to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Learn how to prepare a complaint to submit to your HUD Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) Regional Office. This article teaches you how to use a tool created by Disability Rights Texas that helps you create a formal housing discrimination complaint.

What is Housing Discrimination?

Housing Discrimination occurs when you are denied or reduced access to housing on the basis of:

  • Discapacidad
  • Edad
  • Raza
  • Color
  • Origen Nacional
  • Religión
  • Sexo (incluida la identidad de género y la orientación sexual)
  • Family status

It is also illegal to deny someone access to housing because they are survivors of domestic violence. 

These are not the only examples of possible rights violations related to housing. See the Types of Allegations Investigated section of HUD's File a Complaint webpage for more.

Housing Discrimination Complaint Generator

If you believe your housing rights have been violated, you are encouraged to report housing discrimination to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Because there are time limits on when a violation can be filed with HUD, you should report housing discrimination as soon as possible.

Disability Rights Texas has created a Housing Discrimination Complaint Generator to help you prepare your formal complaint.

Please note: this generator will not submit your complaint to HUD. You must download or print the complaint and submit it to HUD.

Where do I file my Housing Discrimination Complaint?

You should submit your complaint via email or mail to the HUD Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) Regional Office that covers the state or territory where the discrimination occurs.

The Disability Rights Texas Housing Discrimination Complaint Generator can help you identify your FHEO Regional Office. Disability Rights Texas has also created a directory of FHEO Regional Offices.

You can also submit your complaint to HUD's File a Complaint webpage.

Disclaimer: The work that provided the basis for Disability Rights Texas' publication was supported by funding under a grant with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The substance and findings of the work are dedicated to the public. The author and publisher are solely responsible for the accuracy of the statements and interpretations contained in this publication. Such interpretations do not necessarily reflect the views of the Federal Government.

Artículos relacionados